I did not receive any training about cross-culture. I arrived in Guatemala knowing just one person in the entire country and not knowing any Spanish.
is a different breed of health plan provider. Smaller, more flexible. Intelligent and personal. Our mission is to make our members feel as safe in their new country abroad as they felt back home. With Integra Global, you're not just another number. Unlike some of the bigger insurers, we are able to provide a fast, flexible and personal service to all our members and our plans are designed specifically for the healthcare needs of expats. Get a quote from Integra Global
When I arrived I did not speak Spanish, but after 20 years I speak it fluently. I use Spanish 90% of the time and English the other 10%.
No, I moved to Guatemala to open a publishing company for tourism magazines and was concerned about the culture shock.
My biggest problem was understanding that I was no longer in the U.S. and had to accept the way things were done in Guatemala or leave. That took at least two to three years of banging my head against the wall before I accepted that things run differently here.
Yes, I was angry often at myself and the way things ran in the country. I never entered a rejection of the culture stage, but went from anger straight to the adjustment stage.
People, traditions, customs, holidays.
Do not try to impose your customs or culture on people here. Respect the culture and the customs since you are and always will be an outsider.