International Moving Quotes
Expats and Relationships,Moving Overseas — Joshua Wood @ 3:00 am

An American woman on the Expat Exchange UK Forum has posted about her inability to move abroad to live with her same-sex partner in the UK. She has written a long post about been denied entrance into the U.K. despite providing substantial evidence to meet relevant requirements.

Here is a short excerpt:

My partner is the woman I love with all my heart and that to face any more time apart is devastating to the both of us. We have followed all the rules and am now at a lost as to what more we can do. I wish to appeal the decision but need further assistance from someone who may be familiar with such situations.

We have spoken to a UK immigration lawyer who suggested we try for the fiancé visa which would require us to have a deadline for getting a civil union which I do not think any couple should have to be told when they need to get married by.

I am in need of advice on what we should do as neither my country nor hers is making it possible for us to be together?

One of our most active and valuable members, gah26, has provided a lot of insight to her dilemma and offered a range of options to help her better understand her options. Here are some of her thoughts:

I’m sorry about your predicament.

Along with a retrun ticket to the US did you have proof that you had enough funds to sustain you for the length of your stay without taking employment? Did you have a letter from your employer stating when you were expected back on the job? Did you have a couple of your lease or mortgage? A return ticket isn’t always enough to prove that you have ties to the US.

The main requirement for an unmarraied partner visa is that the couple live together continuously for 2 years. From what you have said, this is not your case and so you really have no basis for an appeal.

The UK has been tightening immigration laws and the options are becoming more limited. Your immigration lawyer has given you your best possible option. I understand that you don’t want to be pushed into formalizing your relationship, but the UK has no shacking up visa. The same rules apply to heterosexual couples.

After working with expats for more than ten years, the varied circumstances of people moving overseas – or wanting to – never ceases to amaze me. A desire (need?) to be with a loved one, however, has been a constant.

1 Comment »

  1. Why not move to Spain instead? Same sex marriage is legal here and immigration requirements are less strict. From here, after having legal residency, it might be easier to move to the UK.. just a thought. The cost of living is less, there is more tolerance for diversity and the weather is much better all year round. A huge percentage of Brits leave the UK to live here. You would need to apply for Spanish residency from your home country and wait a bit but it might be worth checking out.

    Comment by sneilk — July 20, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment

Our Story | Our Team | Contact Us | Submit an Article | Advertising | Travel Warnings