CIGNA Expat Health Insurance

Login to Contact BigWorld

About BigWorld

Currently Lives:

Citizen of:


Some Forum Posts:

Portugal: Housing Requirement for Golden Visa:

Hoping for some additional clarity on the housing requirement under the golden visa programme. As I understand it, a golden visa requires Portugese residency of only 7 days in the first year and 14 days in each subsequent two year period. Also, if I purchase a residential property to qualify for the visa, I understand that I do not need to live in the property at all and can rent as an investment. Why would I need to show a lease for 6 or more months in order to have my visa approved as some have suggested? Seems unnecessary and a considerable additional expense especially if for some reason I could not rent out when I am not in Portugal. Perhaps I am missing something and if so please forgive my ignorance.

Portugal: Cell phone:

I have been doing the same thing when traveling overseas, buying local SIM's and switching them out. But this seems less than ideal especially if one relies a lot on text messaging, WeChat, or WhatsApp which are all linked to a specific mobile number. Does anyone know of a phone or phone service that allows you to have a universal mobile number at low cost so that you can use voice and data services tied to one account?

Portugal: Visa strategy:

I am not sure if I am looking at it the right way but due to my own pre-existing condition, I am hesitant to drop Obamacare coverage when I relocate overseas. Although my Obamacare coverage does not cover me outside the US, I worry that I may eventually need to move back to the US and will regret loosing Obamacare coverage. So, I am left with two alternatives - carry two sets of coverage - US and Portugal - or just one - Portugal - and hope that I will never need to relocate back to the US. Otherwise, I need to hope that any future changes to Obamacare will still allow me to re-enroll at a later date with little to no penalty.

Portugal: Getting a Golden Visa for Commercial Property:

I read that Portugal now allows commercial real estate investments to qualify for the golden visa. Has anyone had any experience with this? I do not want to maintain a home in Portugal but would consider an investment such as a hotel or rental property especially if I can use it when visiting Portugal.

Spain: Travel insurance for expats:

If you are referring to health insurance while traveling, I only have experience with Amex which looked comprehensive and relatively cheap.

Portugal: Real Estate Investment Lisbon:

Interesting but is there an immigration angle to this investment? I am potentially considering property purchases that qualify for long-term residency and have read that commercial projects can qualify but need to be held for a minimum period of time? If you think this works for immigration, please send me a PM. Thanks.

Portugal: Long-Term Resident EC:

I have been reading about certain EU countries that have a visa category known as Long-Term Resident EC. This category allows a residence visa holder in say Portugal to move to say France without the need to apply for a standard French residence permit. I believe at least in some countries it also permits holders to work without a permit. From Wikipedia: "The status permits the holder some of the rights of free movement afforded to EU/EEA citizens in the participating countries; not all EU countries participate in implementing the Directive. The implementation of the directive is left to the participating countries, with some national variations in the requirements for and benefits of long-term resident status." In Portugal, the visa is known as "Residente CE de Longa Duração" and in France it is known as "Carte de résident de longue durée – Communauté Européenne" and requires a minimum initial residency of 5 years. Is this really an EU wide long-term residency permit?

Belgium: Belgium Immigration:

Does anyone know the current state of Belgium immigration for non-EEA nationals? I am an American nearing retirement who is looking to live and perhaps work or start a business in Belgium. But I have heard that applications for long-term visas for non-EEA citizens are routinely rejected. I would love to know more about this topic if anyone has experience.

Portugal: 4 month Schengen Visa:

jm, I assume you are referring to a THREE month Schengen visa? If there is a 4 month visa, please let me know more about it.

Portugal: Visa Requirements:

mondayschild, How do you know that cjmckay is not doing both?


Date Joined:


Total Posts:




Join Today (free)

Join Expat Exchange to meet expats in your area or get advice before your move. It's FREE and takes 1 minute!

Copyright 1997-2017 Burlingame Interactive, Inc.

Privacy Policy Legal