AGS Worldwide Movers

Login to Contact Leighabug

About Leighabug

Currently Lives:

Citizen of:


Some Forum Posts:

Austria: Paying/Reporting tax to the U.S.:

Hello! I just had a quick question. My name is Leigha, and I am an American moving to Austria in less than two years. On one of the pages about tips for living in Austria, there was a comment that had me a bit concerned: "Many Austrian companies will not hire Americans as US tax law requires EU companies to report the incomes of Americans. Most companies will not bother dealing with the US Govt, so don't be offended if you are the perfect candidate and are turned down. One way to subtly ferret out if they will hire you is to ask if other Americans are currently employed by the firm." On the IRS website, it says that Americans like myself have to report my income to the US government, but how does that work? Do I still pay taxes on the full amount I make in Austria? If so, I would get taxed twice, once by Austria and once by US? That doesn't seem correct. Any information would be a blessing, and thank you!


Date Joined:


Total Posts:




Join Today (free)

Join Expat Exchange to meet expats in your area or get advice before your move. It's FREE and takes 1 minute!

Copyright 1997-2018 Burlingame Interactive, Inc.

Privacy Policy Legal