Global Expat Forum: I don't know where to go, I don't like my home country (Sweden):
I recently, a month ago, got home from a three months exchange from Costa Rica. Now I feel like my eyes have really opened.
I have always thought about moving abroad, my whole life. But now I really feel like it is something I want to do.
Reasons I don't like Sweden:
- It is cold, I don't like the cold that much. (It is the most obvious but not the most important reason.)
- The "jante-law" - The thinking about that you should not be "extra". You shouldn't think that you are better than anyone.
- People in Sweden always boast about how open and free Sweden is, when it really isn't (that much)
I am a 22 year old gay, christian guy.
In Sweden I have seen one(!) same-sex couple in my whole life. It feels like they don't exist, I feel so lonely. There's only really one place to meet some (In the local LGBT-rights organization's youth-group) and I really don't feel that I fit in there.
As a Christian in one of the most atheist countries in the world isn't that easy either. People who boast about how free Sweden is but at the same time looks down upon people of faith.
"A mentally unstable adult who still talks to their imaginary-friend, how cute" is something you get almost every time you "come out" as a christian.
What I want for my new place to live:
- An English-speaking country
- A big city (There is really only one big city in Sweden, Stockholm, but I don't like the mentality there)
- A place where I can be gay and open about it.
- A place where I can practice my religion and for once feel glad and proud over it.
- A place where I can be the best me that I can be. A place where I can be happy.
Do you have any suggestions to where I should move?
Thank you in advance and I hope you have a great day!