Expat Exchange - Residency Requirements - Expat Tip

expattips Expat Tips NEW

Our new expat tip section is a great place for expats to submit tips on every aspect of expat life.

Tips by Category:

Print Email

Residency Requirements

1 Comment (Add/View Comments Below) | Add to Favorites (4 Favorites)

expat_tip When moving to a new country for the purpose of residency, there are usually five or six things that are mandatory. (1) birth certificate (2) passport (good at least 6 months) (3) police report (4) health certificate (5) proof of income and if applicable (6) marriage license. These MUST all have an apostille. This holds true for almost any and every country you apply to if they are signators to the Hague convention.

Submitted on Aug 19, 2013 - Category: Moving Abroad


pistachio replied on September 02, 2013 09:52:
not a must but a good idea: Before you leave renew your drivers license / even if not close to expiration. It will push out the date to be valid longer. It is then a Valid Photo Id. Go to American Automobile Club and for a small fee obtain an International Drivers License [good for one year] And, the US issues a passport card / not for official international travel but good for ID purposes and also to carry leaving your Official Book Passport at home Safe.
Sign In or Sign Up to reply

Join Expat Exchange (FREE)

Become a member of Expat Exchange today to meet other expats in your area or get advice before moving overseas. Membership is FREE and takes 1 minute!

Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to The Foreign Exchange, our weekly newsletter, read by over 70,000 expats worldwide:

CIGNA International Medical Insurance