replied to the thread Questions
on the Kuwait forum on March 11, 2014:
I am travelling to Kuwait for final interview / negotiations on a position next week. Having never been to this part f the world was wondering if anyone could advise on the following points,
1. Any business customs I should be conscious of?
2. Areas for living - I have 3 kids and a wife and if successful will need to have a look at somewhere nice to live. Was hoping to have a look around while there - but not sure where to start?
3. Life style - have read lots of conflicting information and would welcome someone's real life experiences.
Thanks very much to anyone who has time to respond.
All the best,
replied 10 hours ago with:
First, congratulations on the potential new position. In response to your questions:
1. Most all business is conducted in English, and most businessmen in Kuwait are very Westernized. I wouldn't worry about any indigenous business customs. Just be polite and honest.
2. The important thing is to live somewhere close, or as close as practical, to where you will be working. If, for instance, you're working for the Oil Company, whose HQ is in Ahmadi, then you would want to live in or close to Ahmadi. If you're going to be working downtown, then I would suggest that you live as close to downtown as practical. Traffic can be a real problem, especially in the mornings and early evenings.
3. I'm American, and have lived here for 23 years now. The lifestyle is fine. It's safe here, very safe. And having had two children graduate from school here, I can tell you that they received a good education. Bear in mind that schools here are very expensive. Make sure those costs are part of your compensation package.
on the Kuwait forum on March 02, 2014:
replied to the thread Kuwait
on the Kuwait forum:
My boyfriend lives in Kuwait. I want to surprise him for Valentine's Day. It's ok to stay with him even if we are not married?
Technically as far as I understand no. That said no one is going to stop you or bust down your door and arrest you. You can't rent an apartment together but seeing as that isn't what you are trying to do I would say you're just fine.
Can anyone advise on broadband, high-speed Internet access services in Kuwait?
I'm looking for ADSL or cable with good reliability and unlimited downloads.
Which service providers would you recommend? What's the monthly cost likely to be?
So there is a couple of options depending on where you live. I live in Kuwait City now and just recently got a mobile hotspot with 30 gig a month. I am waiting for my full visa to finish and once I do I am looking at the Zain Wifi Router which runs off the 4g LTE network and does all that I need with a 300 gig limit if you get the premium plan.
I have already seen 16 Mbit down and approximately the same with the system I currently have. One of my coworkers who has been here longer than me has said he has seen 30 Mbit. So there is several options.
Mark I was looking at Fastelco but I didn't see an annual plan like that. Can you link your plan with them?
You are not going to get the speeds that you see in the US, Canada or Europe but they can be OK.
I have a 3mbps connection over optical fibre. It is unlimited downloads. The annual cost is KD225 so about US65 per month.
In 3 years no downtime as they have a dual link to the backbone in and out of Kuwait.
oh. Its Fastelco.
Does anyone know established shooting clubs in Kuwait for clay pigeon (target) shooting?
In particular I'm looking for down-the-line and skeet shooting.
There is a hunting and equestrian club here but that is primarily for target practice.
i have a Kuwaiti friend who shoots skeet but he does it out in the desert with a group of friends. they have their own equipment and go out for the day.