France Nice Terror Attack
Issued by US Department of State
Jul 15, 2016
According French media reports, a truck drove at high speed into a large group of people celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, France at approximately 10:00 p.m. local time tonight. As of now, we are aware that two U.S. citizens were killed in the attack. We are working with local authorities to determine if other U.S. citizens were injured in the event.
We strongly urge U.S. citizens in Nice to be in direct contact with your family members in the United States and elsewhere to advise them of your safety.
U.S. citizens are urged to:
- Be aware of local events;
- Follow local authority instructions;
- Monitor local media further developments; and,
- Take the appropriate steps to bolster your personal security.
In this context, U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance in public and residential areas, and tourist destinations. Expect disruptions in commercial and public transportation, and check with your transportation provider (e.g., airline, train operator, etc.) before traveling to or from the affected area.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities. Specific safety concerns should be addressed to French law enforcement authorities who have responsibility for the safety and security of all visitors to France.
- If you are in Nice, we encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive updates.
- U.S. citizens in Nice who need immediate emergency assistance should call 112.
You can alert us to U.S. citizens affected by the Nice Attacks, including yourself, by visiting Task Force Alert, selecting “2016 Nice,” and providing as much information as possible.
- To contact the U.S. Consulate General Marseille regarding emergency assistance for U.S. citizens please call +(33)(1) 43-12-48-85 or +(33)(1) 43-12-22-22. The French Government has set up an emergency crisis number for the attack in Nice: +(33) (1) 43-17-56-46.
- To provide us with information about an injured U.S. citizen who is in Nice, you may:
- Contact the Department of State at FranceEmergencyUSC@state.gov?.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).