UK Expat Feed
Sign In or Sign Up to post a new topic
We have permanent vacancies for newly qualified and experienced Nurses accross the UK.
TeresaH replied to the thread Unlimited Travel on the United Kingdom forum on September 18, 2014:
TeresaH initially posted:
My husband and I want to travel for extended lengths of time. After finding out Ecuador has a 3 month visa limit, I think we'll try Europe. Is it possible to go to Germany for 3 months, then UK for 3 months, to Spain 3 months then Ireland 3 months. We're trying to work around the Schengen countries.
TeresaH replied on September 18, 2014 with:
Thanks for the information, it's been very helpful!
gah26 replied on September 18, 2014 with:
The UK is not part of the Schengen area. You can visit the Schengen area for 90 days out of 6 months. So you definitely couldn't spend 3 months in Spain and then 3 months in Ireland. In general you can visit the UK for 6 months out of 12 but you will need to demonstrate strong ties to your home country including a return ticket, job to return to and mortgage or rent to pay.
Sign In or Sign Up to reply
gah26 replied to the thread Visit on the United Kingdom forum on September 18, 2014:
Zeberdee initially posted:
Hello I am British Married to an American we live in New England and want to go and viisit my family in the UK does my wfe need to have a round trip ticket to visit or can she go one way and get the ticket to return when we are there thank you Zeberdee
gah26 replied on September 18, 2014 with:
She should have a return ticket and be able to show strong ties to the US like a job to return to and mortgage or rent to pay.
Sign In or Sign Up to reply
DdavidJMa commented on the Expat Report Living in Leeds, UK
What activities, clubs and organizations would you recommend to newcomers to help them meet others?
Join The Leeds Library (private) because the public libraries are not so hot. Hang out in local cafes and you soon meet the regulars. Same goes for pubs. Take classes at Swarthmore or any number of colleges. (Continue)
DdavidJMa replied most recently with:
Please note that pic is not the Leeds waterfront - it is a canal. These were built during the Industrial Revolution to transport all sorts of goods as the road system was not built.The canals fell into disrepair and have since been cleaned up and the areas around them preserved or restored.
Sign In or Sign Up to reply
JustMore replied to the thread School for High Functioning Autistic child in London on the United Kingdom forum on September 16, 2014:
DLH571 initially posted:
Hi! I'm brand new to all of this. We just found out, my husband's company is transferring us next summer to London for 3 years. He will be working in the Clerkenwell section of London by the Farringdon tube stop. He doesn't mind a long commute because, as of right now, he commutes into NYC from NJ and usually sits in over an hour of traffic every day! Our main concern right now is finding a school for our son. He will be 11 years old by the time we move and going into the 6th grade. He is VERY high functioning Autistic but with a pretty bad speech delay. I've been searching high and low and can't seem to find much information online about schools that will fit his needs. So far, I've only found 3 (Abingdon House, Fairley House and Holmewood School) but I'm sure there have to be more since London is such a huge city! I've gone on the National Autistic Society's website and didn't have much luck. If anyone out there can recommend a good school, or are able to provide me with a list of schools, please reply. I feel so lost right now! Thanks!! Oh and PS - Cost is NOT an issue. My husband's company will be paying the tuition in full.
JustMore replied on September 16, 2014 with:
Contact There Education Specialists specialise in psychometric testing (and a whole host of other testing) but most importantly they can recommend best-fit school placements for children from Genius to the complete other end of the spectrum. They have great relationships with the schools in London and often can gain entry for a child when going direct results in a sorry no space available. The lady's name is Josephine Storek.
familytolondon replied on September 15, 2014 with:
Hi! Did you try National Autistic Society's services directory at I came up with more than 300 schools in London area. I also found their article "Choosing a School in England and Wales" quite informative. Its thread is Home >Living with autism >Education and transition >Primary and secondary school >Choosing a school. You might also like to check UK government's site on special education ( Good luck with the school and the move!
Sign In or Sign Up to reply
JenGlad posted Redhill or Welwyn ? on the United Kingdom forum on September 11, 2014:
My husband and I have the opportunity to move to either Welwyn or Redhill in the next 6 months and are having a hard time deciding which would be a "better" city to live in? We really love to be outdoors and travel and do not need a lot of fancy places to dine or drink. Casual places with good atmosphere would suit us for a long time. There are a lot of questions I'd love to ask but I'll try to pick out a few of the bigger ones…. Is the economy better in Welwyn vs Redhill? Does area feel more safe than another? Is one more busy or high traffic than the other? Is it easier to travel in and out of London in Welwyn vs Redhill? Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
Sign In or Sign Up to reply
We are currently recruiting GP doctors who are willing to continue their work and experience in the UK.
Expat Report Culture Shock in Leeds, UK by Snerd was published
Do you have any advice or thoughts about culture shock you would like to share?
Be open to new experiences. You can't expect everything to be just like home -- nor would you want to. (Continue)
americanabroad posted Casting Call on the United Kingdom forum:
Are you an American ex-pat living and working in London? Are you passionate about what you do for a living? An American television production company is looking for people to tell their stories of how they've relocated to London. We are looking for fun, energetic, and enthusiastic Americans who love living in London and love what they do for work. Individuals that maintain a relationship with family in the states is a plus. Applicants should be between 21 and 50 years of age. Optimal industries include real estate, merchandising, import/export and the culinary arts; yet we’re open to hearing from people with any type of job. Please send a recent picture along with a description including your age, occupation, and why you should be featured on the show. Any video included is also a major plus. Please send info to
Sign In or Sign Up to reply
gah26 replied to the thread Spousal Visa to Indefinite Leave to Remain on the United Kingdom forum:
liveandteachabroad initially posted:
Hi fellow expats, I wonder if anyone has recently gone through the process of applying for their Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK? I currently have a spousal visa which is valid until November. I have found the application form and list of supporting documents needed online, but would like to know when I can actually submit my application?! Strangely, the spousal visa should be 2 years, however I seem to have an 3 additional months according to the actual date that appears on the paper copy of my visa. I'm not sure if this therefore allows you a 3 month window to start and complete the application process? Many thanks for any help!
gah26 replied most recently with:
It doesn't matter how long you have been married and living abroad. You apply for a spouse visa and it takes 2 visas of 2 1/2 years each before you are eligible for ILR. It used to be that you were able to qualify for ILR if you were living abroad and were married for at least 4 years after passing the Life in the UK test. That option was discontinued in July 2012. As long as you arrive in the UK with 30 months left on your visa you'll be on track to apply for your next visa. If you don't you'll have to apply for an extra extension before you are eligible for ILR.
BillC replied most recently with:
Please can anyone explain to me why the UKBA does not give you information that after 4 years married and living abroad you should receive the ILR settlement visa. We have just got ours and have almost been married 4 years, also does it have to be married or can being a partner for 4 years suffice? Finally we did not expect a decision for 90 days after the submission which should have been near the end of August so we made plans to go early September, the decision was somewhat quick and arrived late July, will we get problems leaving a month or so after the visa was granted? Many thanks.
Sign In or Sign Up to reply

Join Expat Exchange (FREE)

Become a member of Expat Exchange today to meet other expats in your area or get advice before moving overseas. Membership is FREE and takes 1 minute!

Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter

Subscribe to The Foreign Exchange, our weekly newsletter, read by over 70,000 expats worldwide: