What is the name of the city or town that you are reporting on?
City of Guapiles, County of Pococi, Province of Limon
Name three things that you wish you had brought and three you wish you had left at home.
More Cayanne Pepper,
and valid phone cards (ICE which is the phone company is a monopoly here)
Moving to Costa Rica
Moving to Costa Rica soon? Crown Relocations owns and operates over 207 facilities in almost 54 countries. Their global network means they're unique in the relocations business and they're able to use Crown crews and vehicles wherever possible. Get a quote online by May 25, 2019 and you'll be entered to win 1 of 5 Amazon $250* gift cards.
What advice would you give someone preparing to move to your area about the actual move, choosing a neighborhood and finding a home?
Stay away from Santa Ana and Escazu which are both referred to as "little Americas" and their prices are comperable to Bethesda, MD or San Francisco, CA. Besides the rest of the country is even more beautiful!
What type of housing do you live in? Is this typical for most expats in your area?
I live in a small home with a Costa Rican friend who was raised in Southern California, and If I told you the price there would be a million people moving here tomorrow. Let it suffice to say that a three bedroon home on a 1,000 square meter lot can be had for $250.00, and in some places for less.
How did you choose your neighborhood and find your home or apartment?
1. I have lived in the following areas near San Jose; Zapote, Desamparados, Moravia, and Alajuela. I have also lived in the town of Grecia which is 45 km outside of the capital of San Jose.
2. I now live on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica in the city of Guapiles, County of Pococi, Province of Limon, Costa Rica
3. Major dirrerence, and asset is the people in this area. Although there are only limited foreigners living here, is that the people of this area are truly helpful and friendly. Not because they have to be but because they genuinely like to help others.
4. Even more noticable is that in spite of there being limited employment in the area, they are always willing to greet guests with courtesy and good manners, and a warm greeting and common courtesy.
5. Since there is an abundance of reasonable residential rentals and properties for sale, and a minimal population of foreigners, prices for both as well as the cost of living here are very reasonable.
6. Property taxation is almost non-existant or to say the least extremely reasonable. I have met a friend who has twenty acres or a little over 9 hectares of land with a bar, and cabins that pays about 1,700 colinies or about $5.00 USD per month in property taxes, that is reasonable.
Expats living in Costa Rica interested in expat health insurance should take a minute to get a quote from our trusted expat health insurance partner, CIGNA.
Are your housing costs higher or lower than they were in your home country? What is the average cost of housing there?
Are you kidding, a small apartment in Portland, Oregon was more than $500.00 per month. This is where I lived before moving to Costa Rica. An average unfurnished rental can be had easily for between two to three hundred American dollars per month.