Montclair, the United States
Last updated on Sep 17, 2022
Summary: Expats, digital nomads and retirees discuss what it is like to live in Montclair, United States: Cost of living, Finding a home, Meeting People and more.
What do I need to know about living in Montclair?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Montclair, they said:
"Come to a hip, culturally-involved, family-oriented and active township. Be prepared for high-priced real estate (which continues to increase significantly in value!). Taxes are high due to the excellent schools. We have been described as the Upper West Side of the suburbs because of our diversity. It is a great place to live," explained one expat living in Montclair.
How do I meet people in Montclair?
When we asked people living in Montclair about club and activities where newcomers can meet others, they responded:
"Montclair is an extremely active community, with groups representing all types of interests. It sometimes seems as though every family has at least one member in at least one group. Schools are a prime focus in this township, and many parents are as involved as the students through after-school activities, sports, and the PTSO/PTAs. There are dozens of civic organizations, and local groups focusing on arts, civil rights, gardening, the environment, etc. A networking tool is Montclair's on-line chat room, "The Montclair Watercooler" ([email protected])," said another person in Montclair.
Will I be able to find a job in Montclair?
When we asked people about industries and career opportunities in Montclair, they reponded:
"Montclair is not an industrial municipality. Most people move here for a great schools and neighborhoods, a beautiful place to live and raise kids, not necessarily for job prospects. However, there are several successful business districts serving Montclair and the region. Plenty of people work from their homes. There is a large arts community, and we have become a mecca for excellent restaurants," remarked another in Montclair.
What is life like in Montclair?
When we asked people living in Montclair what life is like and how people spend their time, they said:
"Most families' priorities are our successful, nationally-renowned schools, a main element of our community. Most adults work out of town and many commute into NYC via the new Montclair Connection direct NJ Transit train to downtown or mid-town or via bus to Port Authority. And again, this is a socially-active community," remarked another expat in Montclair.
Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Montclair accepting of differences?If you live in Montclair, newcomers to Montclair would love to hear your answer to this question.
"Diversity is perhaps Montclair's greatest strength and attraction: racially (60% white, 32% black), economically (public assistance recipients, multi-millionares, and mostly middle class), and culturally (blue-collar, white-collar, all ethnicities). All religions are represented. Montclair has a large mixed-race marriage population and gay and lesbian community. We are proud of being a tolerant and accepting community," remarked another expat in Montclair.
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Montclair?
- What do I need to know before moving to Montclair?
- How do I find a place to live in Montclair?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Montclair?
- What is the average cost of housing in Montclair?
- How do I meet people in Montclair?
- What should I pack when moving to Montclair?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Montclair?
- Will I be able to find a job in Montclair?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Montclair?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Montclair?
- What is the social scene like in Montclair?
- What advice to expats in Montclair have about housing?
- What are medical services in Montclair like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Montclair?
- Is the cost of living in Montclair high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Montclair?
- Why do people move to Montclair?