International Mail Forwarding with US Global Mail

Costa Rica Expat Forum

Any info on dirt bike or atv purchase?

Post New Topic
7/16/2012 17:15 EST

I moved to Mal País, Costa Rica a couple weeks ago; plan to be here through november.

I'd like to purchase a dirt bike or atv to get around Mal Pais and renting seems like a waste of money as even long term deals still run $800 a month for an atv. Is it possible to buy one? From what I've read it seems like a terrible process to do the transfer of ownership etc with a lawyer and all. Wasn't sure if all of that applied to dirt bikes and atvs or only actual cars.

Any info here would be greatly appreciated..

Post a Reply


7/29/2012 18:46 EST

Both an ATV and a dirt bike need to have the change of ownership registered by a lawyer into the national registry. It is simple but fees based on the value,will need to be paid,
Both are required to have the Marchamo, paid in order to be legally allowed to go on the road; and be inspected by RITEVE .
The Marchamo is basically, insurance and must be paid every December.

Post a Reply


AXA PPP International Health Insurance for Expats

Expat health insurance to suit your needs. Get affordable healthcare cover that gives you more. AXA - Global Healthcare has supported members globally for over 50 years; including professionals and their families, expatriates worldwide, workers in remote regions, and many others embracing life abroad.

Learn More Get a Quote

7/29/2012 18:49 EST

Marchamo is the equivalent of a registration.

Insurance is not obligatory and you may drive around without it.

How much longer that will be who knows.

RTV is the vehicle inspection and emissions testing.

Post a Reply


7/30/2012 19:20 EST


Both Kohl and GBP are correct.

I own a business in Mal Pais: Pura Vida Adventures (

I have lived there for many years, and own an ATV I bought there. You need to understand that the process is simple, just follow the steps you learned about here and also understand that Lawyers are used for most anything down there. Use a lawyer. Shouldn't cost you too much. The RTV, Marchamo, and then the condition of the vehicle will determine the sale price of the vehicle. Ask around town and talk with locals who have purchased quads and motos and then also meet with a lawyer and write down all the process and fees. Then you will know where you stand.

Hope that helps,


Post a Reply


Expatriate Health Insurance

Get a quote for expat health insurance in Costa Rica.

Mail Forwarding to Costa Rica

Mail Forwarding to Costa Rica.

Expat Tax

Expat Tax Preparation, Expat Tax Professionals

International Moving Companies

Moving to Costa Rica? Find a moving company.

Join Today (free)

Join Expat Exchange to meet expats in your area or get advice before your move. It's FREE and takes 1 minute!

Copyright 1997-2018 Burlingame Interactive, Inc.

Privacy Policy Legal