15 Expats Talk about Health Insurance and Healthcare in Estonia
Last updated on Apr 06, 2023
Summary: The quality of medical care in Estonia is generally considered to be on par with the United States. Estonia has a well-developed healthcare system, with a wide range of medical services available. Emergency services are well-organized and efficient, with ambulances responding quickly to calls. To call for an ambulance in Estonia, dial 112.
How are healthcare services Estonia?
When we asked expats and global nomads about the quality of medical care in Estonia, they replied:
"Estonia offers a wide range of healthcare services, including primary care, specialist care, hospital care, and mental health services. The public healthcare system in Estonia is funded by the government and is free for all citizens and permanent residents. The quality of public healthcare is generally good, with modern facilities and well-trained staff. Foreign residents are also able to access the public healthcare system, although they may need to pay for some services. Expats in Estonia can use the public healthcare system by registering with the Estonian Health Insurance Fund and paying a monthly fee. This will entitle them to the same services as Estonian citizens, including free primary care and specialist care," said one expat living in Estonia.
What are medical services in Estonia like?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Estonia?
- How do I find a place to live in Estonia?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Estonia?
- What is the average cost of housing in Estonia?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Estonia?
- What should I pack when moving to Estonia?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Estonia?
- Why do people move to Estonia?
- How are healthcare services in Estonia?
- What are medical services in Estonia like?
- What are typical rents in Estonia?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?