Retire in New Zealand
Last updated on Apr 23, 2023
Summary: Retirees are attracted to New Zealand for its stunning natural beauty, vibrant culture, and friendly people. The country is known for its outdoor activities, such as hiking, fishing, and skiing, making it an ideal destination for retirees looking to stay active. Additionally, New Zealand has a high quality of life and a low cost of living, making it an attractive option for those looking to stretch their retirement savings. The weather in New Zealand varies greatly depending on the region, but generally the temperatures range from the mid-50s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit (12-24 Celsius).
What is it like to retire in New Zealand?
"New Zealand is a great place for retirees to enjoy their golden years. With its stunning landscapes, vibrant culture, and friendly people, it is a great place to relax and enjoy life. There is an active expat community in New Zealand, with many retirees from all over the world living in the country. There are plenty of cultural attractions to explore, such as the many museums, galleries, and historic sites. There are also plenty of recreational activities to enjoy, such as hiking, biking, and kayaking. For those looking for a bit of nightlife, there are plenty of bars, restaurants, and clubs to explore. All in all, New Zealand is a great place for retirees to enjoy their retirement," said a person in New Zealand.
What are the most challenging aspects of retiring in New Zealand?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to New Zealand?
- Where should I setup a bank account in New Zealand?
- Will I be able to find a job in New Zealand?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in New Zealand appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in New Zealand?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in New Zealand accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in New Zealand like?
- How are healthcare services New Zealand?
- What are medical services in New Zealand like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in New Zealand?
- What are emergency services like in New Zealand?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in New Zealand?
- How are local medical facilities in New Zealand?
- As a foreigner living in New Zealand, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?