Retire in Johannesburg, South Africa
Last updated on Jul 03, 2023
Summary: Johannesburg, South Africa is an attractive destination for retirees due to its vibrant culture, diverse population, and abundance of activities. The weather in Johannesburg is generally mild, with temperatures ranging from the mid-50s to the mid-80s Fahrenheit. There are several retirement communities in Johannesburg, offering a variety of amenities such as swimming pools, fitness centers, and social activities. The cost of a nice two-bedroom home in Johannesburg is typically around $200,000 USD, while a nice three-bedroom home can cost around $250,000 USD.
What is it like to retire in Johannesburg?
"Johannesburg and its surrounding areas offer retirees a variety of activities and attractions. There is an active expat community in Johannesburg, with many retirees from other countries living in the city. There are plenty of cultural attractions to explore, such as the Apartheid Museum, the Johannesburg Art Gallery, and the Johannesburg Zoo. For recreation, retirees can take advantage of the many parks and nature reserves in the area, or visit the nearby Magaliesberg Mountains. There is also plenty of nightlife to enjoy, with a variety of bars, clubs, and restaurants to choose from," said one retiree in Johannesburg.
What advice do overseas retirees have for others considering retiring abroad?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Johannesburg?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Johannesburg?
- What is the average cost of housing in Johannesburg?
- How do I meet people in Johannesburg?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Johannesburg?
- What should I pack when moving to Johannesburg?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Johannesburg?
- Will I be able to find a job in Johannesburg?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Johannesburg?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Johannesburg?
- What is the social scene like in Johannesburg?
- What advice to expats in Johannesburg have about housing?
- What are medical services in Johannesburg like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Johannesburg?
- Is the cost of living in Johannesburg high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Johannesburg?
- Why do people move to Johannesburg?