Retire in Salalah, Oman
Last updated on Oct 17, 2022
Summary: Retirees share their experiences living in Salalah, Oman. What are the challenges and rewards of retiring in Salalah?
How do I meet people in Salalah?
When we asked people living in Salalah about club and activities where newcomers can meet others, they responded:
"Become a member at the gym of one of the international hotels. Go to the Oasis Club (only real expat pub/ restaurant in town)," said another retiree in Salalah.
What is life like in Salalah?
When we asked people living in Salalah what life is like and how people spend their time, they said:
"Expats come here mainly for management positions and for the rest their life revolves around family and friends. There aren't many social activities that are organized so it's a bit do-it-yourself," remarked another retiree in Salalah.
What do I need to know before retiring in Salalah?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Salalah, they said:
"Bring a lot of humor & an open mind. Do come because it's a fantastic experience and they have the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. This town is changing quickly and if you want to see a bit of it's original culture you need to be here now and not in 10 years time," commented one retiree living in Salalah, Oman.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Salalah?
- How do I find a place to live in Salalah?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Salalah?
- What is the average cost of housing in Salalah?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Salalah?
- What should I pack when moving to Salalah?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Salalah?
- What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Salalah?
- What are healthcare services like in Salalah?
- Is the cost of living in Salalah high?
- Will I save money living in Salalah?
- Why do people move to Salalah?
- How are healthcare services Salalah?
- What are medical services in Salalah like?