Retire in Bruges, Belgium
Last updated on Jun 01, 2023
Summary: Bruges, Belgium is a popular destination for retirees due to its picturesque canals, cobblestone streets, and charming architecture. The weather in Bruges is mild, with temperatures ranging from an average high of 68°F in the summer to an average low of 37°F in the winter. There are several retirement communities in Bruges, offering a variety of amenities such as swimming pools, fitness centers, and social activities. The cost of a nice two bedroom home in Bruges is typically around $200,000 USD, while a nice three bedroom home can cost around $250,000 USD.
What is it like to retire in Bruges?
"Retirees in Bruges and its surroundings enjoy a vibrant and active lifestyle. There is an active expat community in the area, with many retirees from other countries living in the city and its surrounding areas. There are plenty of cultural attractions to explore, such as the historic city center, the canals, and the many museums and galleries. There are also plenty of recreational activities to enjoy, such as cycling, walking, and boating. For those looking for a bit of nightlife, there are plenty of bars, restaurants, and clubs to explore," remarked one retiree in Bruges.
What advice do overseas retirees have for others considering retiring abroad?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What should I pack when moving to Bruges?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Bruges?
- Will I be able to find a job in Bruges?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Bruges appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Bruges?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Bruges accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Bruges like?
- How are healthcare services in Bruges?
- What are medical services in Bruges like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Bruges?
- What are emergency services like in Bruges?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Bruges?
- How are local medical facilities in Bruges?
- As a foreigner living in Bruges, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?