Cost of Living in Escazu, Costa Rica
Last updated on Mar 06, 2023
Summary: The cost of living in Escazu, Costa Rica is generally considered to be quite high. A nice 1 bedroom apartment in Escazu can cost anywhere from $800 to $1,500 per month in US Dollars. A nice 2 bedroom apartment in Escazu can cost anywhere from $1,200 to $2,000 per month in US Dollars. The cost of dinner at a moderately priced restaurant in Escazu can range from $10 to $20 per person in US Dollars.
Is the cost of living in Escazu high?
We asked people how much they someone comfortably live on in Escazu, they wrote:
"This is probably the number one question that people ask. Honestly, there is no "correct" answer to this because everyone has different needs. All I can say is Costa Rica is NOT as cheap as it used to be. It is one of the more expensive destinations but it is still much cheaper than the US. Housing, taxes, maid service, drivers, medical...these items are significantly less. Food, utilities, gasoline, dining out....can be close to US prices in an affordable city. Shopping at the "feria" for produce is your best bet for keeping costs very low," remarked one expat in Escazu.
Will I save money living in Escazu?
About the Author
Joshua Wood, LPC joined Expat Exchange in 2000 and serves as one of its Co-Presidents. He is also one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. Prior to Expat Exchange, Joshua worked for NBC Cable (MSNBC and CNBC Primetime). Joshua has a BA from Syracuse and a Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Fairleigh Dickinson University. Mr. Wood is also a licensed counselor and psychotherapist.
- What should I pack when moving to Escazu?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Escazu?
- Will I be able to find a job in Escazu?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do expats in Escazu appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Escazu?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Escazu accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Escazu like?
- How are healthcare services Escazu?
- What are medical services in Escazu like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Escazu?
- What are emergency services like in Escazu?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Escazu?
- How are local medical facilities in Escazu?
- As a foreigner living in Escazu, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?