Real Estate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Last updated on Apr 19, 2023
Summary: The average cost of a nice 2 bedroom home in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil is around $400,000 USD. A nice 3 bedroom home in Rio de Janeiro is around $500,000 USD. These properties typically include modern amenities such as air conditioning, high-speed internet, and a balcony or terrace. Some may also include a pool, garden, and/or a garage. Foreigners are allowed to purchase property in Rio de Janeiro, however, they must obtain a CPF (Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas) number from the Federal Revenue Office in order to do so. An expat looking to purchase a home in Rio de Janeiro should begin by researching the different neighborhoods and areas of the city. They should also consider their budget and lifestyle when searching for a home. The most desirable neighborhoods in Rio de Janeiro include Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon, Botafogo, and Santa Teresa. These areas are known for their beautiful beaches, vibrant nightlife, and close proximity to the city center.
How do I find a place to live in Rio de Janeiro?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered:
"One of the best ways to find a place to live in Rio de Janeiro is to use online rental websites such as Airbnb, VivaReal, and ZAP Imóveis. These websites allow you to search for rental properties in Rio de Janeiro by location, price, and amenities. Additionally, you can contact local real estate agents who specialize in rental properties in the area. They can provide you with more information about the neighborhoods and help you find the perfect place to live," remarked one member in Rio de Janeiro.
What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Rio de Janeiro?
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.
- What do I need to know before moving to Rio de Janeiro?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Rio de Janeiro?
- What is the average cost of housing in Rio de Janeiro?
- How do I meet people in Rio de Janeiro?
- What do I need to know before retiring in Rio de Janeiro?
- What should I pack when moving to Rio de Janeiro?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Rio de Janeiro?
- Will I be able to find a job in Rio de Janeiro?
- What is life like as an expat in your area?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Rio de Janeiro?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Rio de Janeiro?
- What is the social scene like in Rio de Janeiro?
- What advice to expats in Rio de Janeiro have about housing?
- What are medical services in Rio de Janeiro like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Rio de Janeiro?
- Is the cost of living in Rio de Janeiro high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Rio de Janeiro?
- Why do people move to Rio de Janeiro?