What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Panajachel?
We asked expat moms who gave birth in Panajachel about their experiences and advice they have for other moms to be. They said...
"It is important to research the medical facilities available in Panajachel before having a baby. Make sure to find a doctor or midwife who is experienced in delivering babies in the area. It is also important to have a plan for the delivery and post-natal care, including a plan for transportation to a hospital if necessary. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the cultural norms and expectations for childbirth in Guatemala, and to be prepared to adjust to them. Finally, it is important to build a support network of family and friends who can provide assistance during the pregnancy and after the baby is born," said another expat in Panajachel, Guatemala.
"Have a plan B in case you went your baby delivered at home.. If you choose a doctor be sure he won't put you on a schedule and make the baby come when he wants as they have the tendency to do it.," wrote a member who made the move to Panajachel, Guatemala.
- What should I pack when moving to Panajachel?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Panajachel?
- Will I be able to find a job in Panajachel?
- What is life like in Panajachel?
- What do expats in Panajachel appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Panajachel?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Panajachel accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Panajachel like?
- What are healthcare services like in Panajachel?
- What are medical services in Panajachel like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Panajachel?
- What are emergency services like in Panajachel?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Panajachel?
- How are local medical facilities in Panajachel?
- As a foreigner living in Panajachel, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Panajachel?If you live in Panajachel, newcomers to Panajachel would love to hear your answer to this question.