What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Coimbra?
We asked expat moms who gave birth in Coimbra about their experiences and advice they have for other moms to be. They said...
"Firstly, it's important to familiarize yourself with the Portuguese healthcare system. Portugal has a high standard of healthcare, and maternity services are generally very good. Ensure you have the necessary health insurance coverage. If you are a European citizen, you may be entitled to free healthcare through the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Non-EU citizens will need to check their private health insurance policies. Find a good local doctor or midwife who speaks your language. This will make your prenatal appointments much easier and less stressful. Consider hiring a doula or birth coach who can provide additional support and guidance throughout your pregnancy and during labor. Start looking for a pediatrician early on. Some doctors may have long waiting lists, so it's best to start your search as soon as possible. Take advantage of prenatal classes. Many hospitals in Coimbra offer these classes, which can help you prepare for childbirth and parenthood. If you plan to give birth in a hospital, visit the hospital beforehand to familiarize yourself with the facilities and procedures. Understand your maternity rights. Portugal has generous maternity and paternity leave policies, so make sure you know what you're entitled to. Finally, try to connect with other expat parents in Coimbra. They can provide invaluable advice and support, and may be able to recommend specific doctors, midwives, or hospitals," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to Coimbra, Portugal.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Coimbra?
- What do I need to know before moving to Coimbra?
- How do I find a place to live in Coimbra?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Coimbra?
- What is the average cost of housing in Coimbra?
- How do I meet people in Coimbra?
- What should I pack when moving to Coimbra?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Coimbra?
- Will I be able to find a job in Coimbra?
- What is life like in Coimbra?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Coimbra?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Coimbra?
- What is the social scene like in Coimbra?
- What advice to expats in Coimbra have about housing?
- What are medical services in Coimbra like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Coimbra?
- Is the cost of living in Coimbra high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Coimbra?
- Why do people move to Coimbra?
What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Coimbra?If you live in Coimbra, newcomers to Coimbra would love to hear your answer to this question.