What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Vienna?
We asked people in Vienna if they could share any humorous cultural blunders they commited. For new expats, keep in mind that these incidents are an inevitable part of expat life. Learning to laugh about them is the key!...
"It is important to be aware that Vienna has a variety of culture and customs that are important to the local people, so it is helpful to take the time to learn about them before visiting. It is considered rude to be overly loud in public places, and in some places, like museums and churches, it is best to remain silent. Furthermore, it is considered offensive to take photos of people without asking for their permission first. When out to eat, leave restaurants in Vienna a small tip, as this is expected and considered proper etiquette. Additionally, when in public spaces, such as cafes or bars, be sure to be respectful with your choice of language and avoid conversations related to politics, race or religion, as these can be sensitive topics to some," remarked another expat in Vienna, Austria, Austria.
"When first here I rode the Tram and wanted to stop. Not knowing what the red handle was for, I chose to pull it, thereby stopping the tram abruptly. The driver came back and scolded me in German. You get the idea," said a member in Vienna, Austria.
- What should I pack when moving to Vienna?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Vienna?
- Will I be able to find a job in Vienna?
- What is life like in Vienna?
- What do expats in Vienna appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Vienna?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Vienna accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Vienna like?
- What are healthcare services like in Vienna?
- What are medical services in Vienna like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Vienna?
- What are emergency services like in Vienna?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Vienna?
- How are local medical facilities in Vienna?
- As a foreigner living in Vienna, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Vienna?If you live in Vienna, newcomers to Vienna would love to hear your answer to this question.