What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Nairobi?
We asked people in Nairobi if they could share any humorous cultural blunders they commited. For new expats, keep in mind that these incidents are an inevitable part of expat life. Learning to laugh about them is the key!...
"In Nairobi, it is important to be respectful of local customs and traditions. It is important to dress modestly and to avoid public displays of affection. It is also important to be aware of the local language and to be respectful when speaking to locals. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the local religious beliefs and to be respectful of them. It is also important to be aware of the local customs regarding food and to be respectful of them. Finally, it is important to be aware of the local customs regarding greetings and to be respectful of them," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to Nairobi, Kenya.
"Yes. A very friendly person taught me the local custom of calling a person by his surname instead of by his first name as a form of acknowledging friendship and honoring his bloodline. When she then called a person by his first name I asked why without thinking. I did not realise that I was putting her in a very bad spot as it blatantly highlighted a sensitive political situation," commented one expat who made the move to Nairobi, Kenya.
- What should I pack when moving to Nairobi?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Nairobi?
- Will I be able to find a job in Nairobi?
- What is life like in Nairobi?
- What do expats in Nairobi appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Nairobi?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Nairobi accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Nairobi like?
- What are healthcare services like in Nairobi?
- What are medical services in Nairobi like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Nairobi?
- What are emergency services like in Nairobi?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Nairobi?
- How are local medical facilities in Nairobi?
- As a foreigner living in Nairobi, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Nairobi?If you live in Nairobi, newcomers to Nairobi would love to hear your answer to this question.