What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Bydgoszcz?
We asked people in Bydgoszcz if they could share any humorous cultural blunders they commited. For new expats, keep in mind that these incidents are an inevitable part of expat life. Learning to laugh about them is the key!...
"It is important to be mindful of cultural differences when visiting Bydgoszcz. It is important to be respectful of local customs and traditions, and to be aware of any potential cultural faux pas. For example, it is important to dress modestly and to avoid public displays of affection. It is also important to be aware of the local language and to be respectful when speaking to locals. Additionally, it is important to be aware of local customs regarding gift-giving and to avoid giving gifts that are too expensive or extravagant. Finally, it is important to be aware of local customs regarding alcohol consumption and to drink responsibly," said a member in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
"Many times, usually language related. Whilst at a prestigious Dinner sat next to the Bishop of the Kujavia Pomorski region I described the dish we were eating as 'Siuper Duper' to him. There was a stunned silence throughout the dinning room as I had called the dish 'Big Arse'. I was severely reprimanded later by the people who had invited me. Eventually they did see the funny side though," remarked another expat who made the move to Bydgoszcz, Poland.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Bydgoszcz?
- What do I need to know before moving to Bydgoszcz?
- How do I find a place to live in Bydgoszcz?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Bydgoszcz?
- What is the average cost of housing in Bydgoszcz?
- How do I meet people in Bydgoszcz?
- What should I pack when moving to Bydgoszcz?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Bydgoszcz?
- Will I be able to find a job in Bydgoszcz?
- What is life like in Bydgoszcz?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Bydgoszcz?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Bydgoszcz?
- What is the social scene like in Bydgoszcz?
- What advice to expats in Bydgoszcz have about housing?
- What are medical services in Bydgoszcz like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Bydgoszcz?
- Is the cost of living in Bydgoszcz high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Bydgoszcz?
- Why do people move to Bydgoszcz?
What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Bydgoszcz?If you live in Bydgoszcz, newcomers to Bydgoszcz would love to hear your answer to this question.