What do expats in Utrecht appreciate most about the local culture?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they appreciate the most about the local culture in Utrecht. They wrote...
"For the first time in 20 years I am riding a cycle !...and using public transport. I love how everyone skates when there is ice - I purchased my first pair of ice skates during our first winter. Appreciation of the sun....I really took that for granted. Nederlanders worship the sun," explained one expat living in Utrecht, Netherlands.
"The Dutch are very outdoorsy and I love that. They cycle everywhere and any time there is sun, no matter what the weather, you will find them out basking in it. It's the cycling culture that I have completely fallen in love with. I also enjoy how environmentally friendly they are. Most companies will reimburse employees 100% of their travel expenses as long as they use public transportation. The bikes take people most places and rarely do you get a plastic bag with your shopping purchase unless you pay extra for them. Most people carry their own vinyl bags for shopping or stuff purchases in a large purse, backpack, or bag. Time is also appreciated. Employees get, on average, five weeks of vacation in addition to the many many holidays. The average work week is 36 hours and an astounding number of people work four days a week. Healthcare is also affordable and easy to come by. Everyone must be covered by law. The government also gives generous childcare aid and maternity and paternity leaves are recognized," said another expat in Utrecht, Netherlands.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Utrecht?
- What do I need to know before moving to Utrecht?
- How do I find a place to live in Utrecht?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Utrecht?
- What is the average cost of housing in Utrecht?
- How do I meet people in Utrecht?
- What should I pack when moving to Utrecht?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Utrecht?
- Will I be able to find a job in Utrecht?
- What is life like in Utrecht?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Utrecht?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Utrecht?
- What is the social scene like in Utrecht?
- What advice to expats in Utrecht have about housing?
- What are medical services in Utrecht like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Utrecht?
- Is the cost of living in Utrecht high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Utrecht?
- Why do people move to Utrecht?
What do expats in Utrecht appreciate most about the local culture?If you live in Utrecht, newcomers to Utrecht would love to hear your answer to this question.