What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Geneva. They wrote...
"Expats in Geneva often find the local culture to be quite different from what they are used to. The language barrier can be a challenge, as French is the main language spoken in the city. Additionally, the cost of living in Geneva is quite high, making it difficult for expats to adjust to the local lifestyle. Furthermore, the city is quite small and can feel quite isolated, making it difficult for expats to make friends and build a social network. Finally, the Swiss culture is quite formal and reserved, which can be difficult for expats to adjust to," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to Geneva, Switzerland.
"The lack of local language skills is at the top of the list. It isolates you and forms a barrier in what in your own country would be friendly, every day, people to people contact situations: such as pleasantries exchanged with a check out clerk or a neighbor while walking the dog. I also feel out of it with regards to the news: what is going on in the arts, politics. I used to be well informed, now I am not at all. I have been too busy getting my kids settled, hooking up utilities, figuring out our mail forwarding, our taxes, etc," commented one expat who made the move to Geneva, Switzerland.
- What should I pack when moving to Geneva?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Geneva?
- Will I be able to find a job in Geneva?
- What is life like in Geneva?
- What do expats in Geneva appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Geneva?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Geneva accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Geneva like?
- What are healthcare services like in Geneva?
- What are medical services in Geneva like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Geneva?
- What are emergency services like in Geneva?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Geneva?
- How are local medical facilities in Geneva?
- As a foreigner living in Geneva, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Geneva, newcomers to Geneva would love to hear your answer to this question.