What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Nairobi. They wrote...
"Expats in Nairobi often find the local culture to be quite different from what they are used to. The language barrier can be a challenge, as many locals speak Swahili and English is not as widely spoken as in other parts of the world. Additionally, the local customs and traditions can be difficult to understand and navigate, as they are often quite different from those of the expat's home country. Furthermore, the cost of living in Nairobi can be quite high, making it difficult for expats to adjust to the local economy. Finally, the traffic and pollution in Nairobi can be overwhelming, making it difficult to get around and enjoy the city," commented one expat who made the move to Nairobi, Kenya.
AGS Worldwide Movers can move you to and from anywhere in the world. Presently the AGS Group has over 141 locations in more than 95 countries and has one of the largest networks in the international removals industry. We relocate 85,000 families every year. Free moving quote!
Get a Quote
"A person learn to trust friendly people faster and tend to accept customs as a given. What caught me off guard is that the Kenyan culture has a very strong emphasis on good interpersonal relationships to the point where you will be extremely friendly with the person you are lying to and that you are in the process of deceiving. I found it difficult to learn not to trust a person just because he/she is friendly and apparently sharing as it took me a knock or two to realize the depth of receipt the friendly people are capable off. Corruption is everywhere and only power and money controls it," remarked another expat in Nairobi, Kenya.
- What should I pack when moving to Nairobi?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Nairobi?
- Will I be able to find a job in Nairobi?
- What is life like in Nairobi?
- What do expats in Nairobi appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Nairobi?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Nairobi accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Nairobi like?
- What are healthcare services like in Nairobi?
- What are medical services in Nairobi like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Nairobi?
- What are emergency services like in Nairobi?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Nairobi?
- How are local medical facilities in Nairobi?
- As a foreigner living in Nairobi, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Nairobi, newcomers to Nairobi would love to hear your answer to this question.