What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Salwa. They wrote...
"Expats in Salwa may find the local culture challenging due to several factors. The language barrier can be a significant issue, as Arabic is the official language and not everyone speaks English fluently. This can make communication and daily interactions difficult for expats who do not speak Arabic. Another challenge is the conservative nature of Kuwaiti society, which is deeply rooted in Islamic traditions. Expats may find it difficult to adapt to the strict dress codes, gender segregation in public spaces, and the prohibition of alcohol. Additionally, the local customs and etiquette, such as the importance of modesty and respect for elders, may be unfamiliar to expats and require some adjustment. The extreme heat and climate in Kuwait can also be a challenge for expats, particularly during the summer months when temperatures can reach up to 50°C (122°F). This can make outdoor activities and daily life uncomfortable for those not used to such conditions. Furthermore, expats may find it difficult to establish a social network in Salwa, as the local community can be somewhat insular and reserved towards outsiders. This can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness for expats who are not able to easily integrate into the local culture. Lastly, the bureaucratic processes in Kuwait can be complex and time-consuming, which can be frustrating for expats trying to navigate the legal and administrative aspects of living in the country, such as obtaining visas, work permits, and residency permits," remarked another expat who made the move to Salwa, Kuwait.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Salwa?
- What do I need to know before moving to Salwa?
- How do I find a place to live in Salwa?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Salwa?
- What is the average cost of housing in Salwa?
- How do I meet people in Salwa?
- What should I pack when moving to Salwa?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Salwa?
- Will I be able to find a job in Salwa?
- What is life like in Salwa?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Salwa?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Salwa?
- What is the social scene like in Salwa?
- What advice to expats in Salwa have about housing?
- What are medical services in Salwa like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Salwa?
- Is the cost of living in Salwa high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Salwa?
- Why do people move to Salwa?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Salwa, newcomers to Salwa would love to hear your answer to this question.