What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Amsterdam. They wrote...
"One of the most challenging aspects of the local culture for expats in Amsterdam is the language barrier. Dutch is the official language of the Netherlands, and while many people in Amsterdam speak English, it can be difficult to communicate with locals if you don't speak Dutch. Additionally, the Dutch culture is known for its directness and bluntness, which can be difficult for expats to adjust to. Furthermore, the Dutch are known for their strong sense of individualism, which can be difficult for expats to understand and navigate. Finally, the Dutch are known for their strong work ethic, which can be difficult for expats to adjust to if they are used to a more relaxed work culture," said another expat in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
"Most challenging aspects for me are the Dutch language, the occasional "that's not possible" attitude of the locals, and the lack of becoming something exciting. This place has so much potential to be greater but I think the Calvinist remnants in the culture hold people back from freely exploring their limits. I also am so puzzled by the menus in Dutch kitchen restaurants and cafes. They are almost rubber-stamped in offerings. It's rare to find creative alternatives. Many ethnic options here of course but too much Dutch sameness," wrote a member who made the move to Amsterdam, Netherlands.
The insurance that travels with you. Now Health International's insurance plans offer you access to world-class healthcare facilities and treatment wherever and whenever you need it. With digital services, 24x7 customer support in different languages, and award-winning service, Now Health International will look after you no matter where you choose to go. Get a Quote from Now Health International.
GET A QUOTE
Please login to continue reading this article.
Not a member? Join Today (it's free).
- What should I pack when moving to Amsterdam?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Amsterdam?
- Will I be able to find a job in Amsterdam?
- What is life like in Amsterdam?
- What do expats in Amsterdam appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Amsterdam?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Amsterdam accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Amsterdam like?
- What are healthcare services like in Amsterdam?
- What are medical services in Amsterdam like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Amsterdam?
- What are emergency services like in Amsterdam?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Amsterdam?
- How are local medical facilities in Amsterdam?
- As a foreigner living in Amsterdam, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Amsterdam, newcomers to Amsterdam would love to hear your answer to this question.