What do I need to know before retiring in Jeddah?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Jeddah, they said...
"Expats considering retiring in Jeddah should be aware that the city is a conservative Islamic society and that they should respect local customs and laws. It is important to note that alcohol and pork are strictly prohibited in Saudi Arabia. Expats should also be aware that the climate in Jeddah is hot and humid, with temperatures reaching up to 40°C in the summer months. Additionally, expats should be aware that the cost of living in Jeddah is relatively high, and that they should budget accordingly. Finally, expats should be aware that the healthcare system in Jeddah is of a high standard, but that they may need to pay for private healthcare if they require specialist treatment," said another expat in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
"Only accept a job that provides accommodation on a western compound (key to access of facilites/ friends/ parties) especailly for women- it would be a nightmare for a western woman to "live out." If you have kids, ensure school fees will be paid," wrote a member who made the move to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Get a free international health insurance quote from our partner, Allianz Care, whose plans ensure that you have access to quality healthcare whenever you need it. Allianz's flexible solutions allow you to tailor your cover to meet your needs and budget.
Get a Quote
- What should I pack when moving to Jeddah?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Jeddah?
- Will I be able to find a job in Jeddah?
- What is life like in Jeddah?
- What do expats in Jeddah appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Jeddah?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Jeddah accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Jeddah like?
- What are healthcare services like in Jeddah?
- What are medical services in Jeddah like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Jeddah?
- What are emergency services like in Jeddah?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Jeddah?
- How are local medical facilities in Jeddah?
- As a foreigner living in Jeddah, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do I need to know before retiring in Jeddah?If you live in Jeddah, newcomers to Jeddah would love to hear your answer to this question.