What should I pack when moving to San Jose?
We asked people living in San Jose to list three things they wish they had brought and three they wish they had left behind. They responded...
"When packing for a move to San Jose, it is important to bring light clothing made of natural fibers such as cotton, linen, and wool that would be comfortable in the typically warm climate. Rainy season typically runs from May to November so make sure to bring a few rain coats and a good pair of waterproof shoes. Unless staying in a hotel, it is a good idea to pack a mosquito net, bug spray, sunscreen, and basic first-aid supplies. Include the necessary documents such as passport, visas, and any other important papers. Depending on where one is staying, it may also be necessary to bring some kitchen basics like utensils, pots and pans. Don't forget to pack a converter for any electronic devices that need to be plugged into a different voltage," said another expat in San Jose, Costa Rica, Costa Rica.
"I'll give the tip that it's always a good idea to bring at least one professional/business attire type of outfit and perhaps formal wear. Costa Ricans ("Ticos") take a bit of pride on appearance and do not appreciate the fresh off the beach, "dirty gringo" look of most tourists if you are applying for a job, etc," wrote a member who made the move to San Jose, Costa Rica.
- What should I pack when moving to San Jose?
- Where should I setup a bank account in San Jose?
- Will I be able to find a job in San Jose?
- What is life like in San Jose?
- What do expats in San Jose appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in San Jose?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in San Jose accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in San Jose like?
- What are healthcare services like in San Jose?
- What are medical services in San Jose like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in San Jose?
- What are emergency services like in San Jose?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in San Jose?
- How are local medical facilities in San Jose?
- As a foreigner living in San Jose, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What should I pack when moving to San Jose?If you live in San Jose, newcomers to San Jose would love to hear your answer to this question.