What do I need to know before moving to Mumbai?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Mumbai, they said...
"Mumbai is a bustling city with a vibrant culture and a unique atmosphere. Expats should be prepared for the hustle and bustle of the city and the heat and humidity of the climate. It is important to research the local laws and regulations before moving to Mumbai, as well as the cost of living and the availability of housing. Expats should also be aware of the language barrier, as English is not widely spoken in Mumbai. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the cultural differences between India and the expat's home country, and to be respectful of local customs and traditions. Finally, expats should make sure to have all the necessary documents and paperwork in order before moving to Mumbai," explained one expat living in Mumbai, India.
Get a free international health insurance quote from our partner, Allianz Care, whose plans ensure that you have access to quality healthcare whenever you need it. Allianz's flexible solutions allow you to tailor your cover to meet your needs and budget.
Get a Quote
"The best advice was to bring a great mattress; Indian mattress are not like ones at home. Bring your vacuum cleaner; I have a Kirby so it really hurts that I left it behind. Choose a very good moving company; I thought mine did ok until I heard war stories from other expats (I did send an apology). Get your PAN card ASAP; you can't sign a lease agreement without one. Be very clear to what you want and make sure the settling in people stick to your guidelines as they will waste your time showing things that don't fit; I knew what was on the boat and needed 4 bedrooms and they kept showing us 3 bedroom flats. I knew that I wanted to be close to Indian culture without sacrificing access to expat shopping. I did not want my husband and children to spend more than one hour on commuting. Ask Indians for advice; so many freely helped us navigate the waters. They were our saving grace," said another expat in Mumbai, India.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Mumbai?
- What do I need to know before moving to Mumbai?
- How do I find a place to live in Mumbai?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Mumbai?
- What is the average cost of housing in Mumbai?
- How do I meet people in Mumbai?
- What should I pack when moving to Mumbai?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Mumbai?
- Will I be able to find a job in Mumbai?
- What is life like in Mumbai?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Mumbai?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Mumbai?
- What is the social scene like in Mumbai?
- What advice to expats in Mumbai have about housing?
- What are medical services in Mumbai like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Mumbai?
- Is the cost of living in Mumbai high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Mumbai?
- Why do people move to Mumbai?
What do I need to know before moving to Mumbai?If you live in Mumbai, newcomers to Mumbai would love to hear your answer to this question.