What do I need to know before moving to Tongyeong?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to Tongyeong, they said...
"Tongyeong is a coastal city located in the southern part of South Korea, known for its seafood, scenic islands, and historic sites. Before moving to Tongyeong, it's important to understand that the primary language spoken is Korean, so learning basic Korean phrases or taking a language course could be beneficial. The cost of living in Tongyeong is relatively lower compared to larger cities like Seoul or Busan, but it's still important to budget accordingly. Tongyeong has a humid subtropical climate, with hot, humid summers and cool, relatively dry winters, so pack your clothes accordingly. The city is famous for its fresh seafood, especially oysters and mackerel, so be prepared to enjoy a variety of seafood dishes. Public transportation in Tongyeong is reliable, with buses being the main mode of transport, but having a car can be more convenient for exploring the surrounding areas. Tongyeong is a safe city with a low crime rate, but like anywhere, it's important to take basic safety precautions. Healthcare in South Korea is of a high standard, and Tongyeong has several hospitals and clinics, but it's recommended to have health insurance to cover any medical costs. The city is rich in culture and history, with many festivals, museums, and historic sites to explore, so be prepared to immerse yourself in the local culture. While the city is modern and developed, it's important to respect the local customs and traditions, which can be quite different from Western norms. Internet and mobile connectivity in Tongyeong, like the rest of South Korea, is excellent, so staying connected with family and friends back home won't be an issue. Lastly, it's important to have all the necessary visas and documentation in order before moving, and it may be beneficial to consult with a relocation expert or expat community for advice," remarked another expat in Tongyeong, Korea.
- What should I pack when moving to Tongyeong?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Tongyeong?
- Will I be able to find a job in Tongyeong?
- What is life like in Tongyeong?
- What do expats in Tongyeong appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Tongyeong?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Tongyeong accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Tongyeong like?
- What are healthcare services like in Tongyeong?
- What are medical services in Tongyeong like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Tongyeong?
- What are emergency services like in Tongyeong?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Tongyeong?
- How are local medical facilities in Tongyeong?
- As a foreigner living in Tongyeong, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do I need to know before moving to Tongyeong?If you live in Tongyeong, newcomers to Tongyeong would love to hear your answer to this question.