Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
When we asked members in Negombo if they typically need to travel to see specialists, they replied...
"Yes, there are a good number of medical specialists in Negombo. People in Negombo can access a wide range of medical services, including general practitioners, specialists, and hospitals. For highly specialized medical care, people usually go to the larger hospitals in Colombo, such as the National Hospital of Sri Lanka, the Lady Ridgeway Hospital for Children, and the Colombo South Teaching Hospital. These hospitals offer a wide range of specialized services, including cardiology, neurology, oncology, and other specialized treatments," explained one expat living in Negombo, Sri Lanka.
"People actually come to Sri Lanka for Medical Tourism but some Expats have expressed doubts about the quality of medical care here. If an expat was worried one could go to nearby India for anything or any condition to be treated. I had a stent put in last year in Nawaloka Hospital, Colombo Branch and total bill came to $3,000. I think Cancer care here is limited but not really informed on that. My international insurance refuses to cover pre-existing conditions (Cigna) so you are on your own with that. I would never return to the USA for medical care as that would not be covered by my insurance plan and the cost would be beyond anything I could ever pay," said another expat in Negombo, Sri Lanka.
- What do I need to know before retiring in Negombo?
- What do I need to know before moving to Negombo?
- How do I find a place to live in Negombo?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Negombo?
- What is the average cost of housing in Negombo?
- How do I meet people in Negombo?
- What should I pack when moving to Negombo?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Negombo?
- Will I be able to find a job in Negombo?
- What is life like in Negombo?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Negombo?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Negombo?
- What is the social scene like in Negombo?
- What advice to expats in Negombo have about housing?
- What are medical services in Negombo like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Negombo?
- Is the cost of living in Negombo high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Negombo?
- Why do people move to Negombo?
Will I need to travel to see a specialist?If you live in Negombo, newcomers to Negombo would love to hear your answer to this question: