As a foreigner living in Negombo, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
We asked expats in Negombo if they have access to public healthcare in Negombo. And, if they do have access, what is it like. They wrote...
"As a foreigner living in Negombo, you will have access to public healthcare. However, the public healthcare system in Sri Lanka, while generally affordable, may not be up to the standards you are accustomed to in your home country. Public hospitals and clinics can be crowded, and waiting times for treatment can be long. Additionally, the availability of specialized care and advanced medical equipment may be limited. It is recommended that foreigners living in Sri Lanka consider obtaining private health insurance to access private healthcare facilities, which generally offer better quality care and shorter waiting times," said a member in Negombo, Sri Lanka.
"Foreigners do not enroll in the public healthcare system. To reside in country one is required to hold health insurance. It is your choice what you pick but consider your state of health and coverage as you pay up front for health care here. There are public hospitals but foreigners would probably consider them grim and as a last recourse. During the Dengue Crisis there were four to a bed," remarked another expat who made the move to Negombo, Sri Lanka.
- What should I pack when moving to Negombo?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Negombo?
- Will I be able to find a job in Negombo?
- What is life like in Negombo?
- What do expats in Negombo appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Negombo?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Negombo accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Negombo like?
- What are healthcare services like in Negombo?
- What are medical services in Negombo like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Negombo?
- What are emergency services like in Negombo?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Negombo?
- How are local medical facilities in Negombo?
- As a foreigner living in Negombo, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
As a foreigner living in Negombo, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?If you live in Negombo, newcomers to Negombo would love to hear your answer to this question: