What advice to expats in Lake Atitlan have about housing?
When we asked people living in Lake Atitlan about the social scene there, they described it saying...
"Expats in Lake Atitlan advise newcomers to take their time when searching for housing, as it's essential to explore different villages around the lake to find the one that suits their lifestyle and preferences. They recommend renting a place for a few months before committing to a long-term lease or purchasing a property. This allows time to get a feel for the area, understand the local real estate market, and make connections with locals who can help in finding the right home. It's essential to consider factors such as accessibility, safety, and proximity to amenities when choosing a location. Some villages are more remote and may require a boat ride to access basic services, while others are more developed and have a larger expat community. Expats also suggest looking for housing with reliable water and electricity supply, as these can be issues in some areas. Negotiating rental prices is common, and it's helpful to have a local friend or real estate agent assist in the process to ensure a fair deal. Expats also recommend thoroughly inspecting the property before signing a lease, as maintenance standards may vary. Finally, it's essential to be aware of local customs and traditions when living in Lake Atitlan. Building relationships with neighbors and respecting the local culture will contribute to a more enjoyable and fulfilling experience in this beautiful region of Guatemala," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.
"Folks searching for housing must get to know a local or two. Word of mouth is the main advertising medium. Sadly Facebook would be second. There are many hidden gems for rent behind walls with no signs visible," commented one expat who made the move to Lake Atitlan, Guatemala.
AGS Worldwide Movers can move you to and from anywhere in the world. Presently the AGS Group has over 141 locations in more than 95 countries and has one of the largest networks in the international removals industry. We relocate 85,000 families every year. Free moving quote!
Get a Quote
- What do I need to know before retiring in Lake Atitlan?
- What do I need to know before moving to Lake Atitlan?
- How do I find a place to live in Lake Atitlan?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Lake Atitlan?
- What is the average cost of housing in Lake Atitlan?
- How do I meet people in Lake Atitlan?
- What should I pack when moving to Lake Atitlan?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Lake Atitlan?
- Will I be able to find a job in Lake Atitlan?
- What is life like in Lake Atitlan?
- What do people like (and dislike) about Lake Atitlan?
- What type of social life can someone expect in Lake Atitlan?
- What is the social scene like in Lake Atitlan?
- What advice to expats in Lake Atitlan have about housing?
- What are medical services in Lake Atitlan like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Lake Atitlan?
- Is the cost of living in Lake Atitlan high?
- What are the visa & residency requirements in Lake Atitlan?
- Why do people move to Lake Atitlan?
What advice to expats in Lake Atitlan have about housing?If you live in Lake Atitlan, newcomers to Lake Atitlan would love to hear your answer to this question: