Is the cost of living in San Jose high?
We asked people about the cost of living in San Jose, they wrote...
"The cost of living in San Jose is generally considered to be moderate. A nice 1 bedroom apartment in San Jose can cost around $500 USD per month, while a nice 2 bedroom apartment can cost around $700 USD per month. Eating dinner at a moderately priced restaurant in San Jose can cost around $10 USD per person," said another expat in San Jose, Costa Rica.
"Per capita GDP in Costa Rica is about a third as high as it is in the US, and the cost of living is commensurately lower. However, the prices of some goods are set at a global rather than a local level and the prices of others are actually higher owing to taxes and import costs. Realistically, the cost of living is about half as high as it is in a similar location in the US, although individual tastes and circumstances vary. As for a dollar amount, some expats say $2000/month is the minimum, though I think that's high and others think that's low. I will say that the pensionado minimum of $1000/month is doable, but pretty lean," wrote a member who made the move to San Jose, Costa Rica.
The insurance that travels with you. Now Health International's insurance plans offer you access to world-class healthcare facilities and treatment wherever and whenever you need it. With digital services, 24x7 customer support in different languages, and award-winning service, Now Health International will look after you no matter where you choose to go. Get a Quote from Now Health International.
GET A QUOTE
- What should I pack when moving to San Jose?
- Where should I setup a bank account in San Jose?
- Will I be able to find a job in San Jose?
- What is life like in San Jose?
- What do expats in San Jose appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in San Jose?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in San Jose accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in San Jose like?
- What are healthcare services like in San Jose?
- What are medical services in San Jose like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in San Jose?
- What are emergency services like in San Jose?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in San Jose?
- How are local medical facilities in San Jose?
- As a foreigner living in San Jose, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
Is the cost of living in San Jose high?If you live in San Jose, newcomers to San Jose would love to hear your answer to this question: