What advice do you have for expats having a baby in South Africa?
We asked expat moms who gave birth in South Africa about their experiences and advice they have for other moms to be. They said...
"It is important to research the healthcare system in South Africa before having a baby. Make sure to find a reputable doctor or midwife who is experienced in delivering babies in South Africa. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the local laws and regulations regarding childbirth and parenting. Additionally, it is important to make sure you have access to the necessary supplies and equipment for the baby, such as diapers, formula, and clothing. Finally, it is important to build a support network of family and friends who can help you during the pregnancy and after the baby is born," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to South Africa.
"To maybe go to Joburg. Though everything at the hospital in Piet Retief was great. The care was excellent," commented one expat who made the move to Piet Retief, South Africa.
AGS Worldwide Movers can move you to and from anywhere in the world. Presently the AGS Group has over 141 locations in more than 95 countries and has one of the largest networks in the international removals industry. We relocate 85,000 families every year. Free moving quote!
Get a Quote
Please login to continue reading this article.
Not a member? Join Today (it's free).
- What should I pack when moving to South Africa?
- Where should I setup a bank account in South Africa?
- Will I be able to find a job in South Africa?
- What is life like in South Africa?
- What do expats in South Africa appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in South Africa?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in South Africa accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in South Africa like?
- What are healthcare services like in South Africa?
- What are medical services in South Africa like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in South Africa?
- What are emergency services like in South Africa?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in South Africa?
- How are local medical facilities in South Africa?
- As a foreigner living in South Africa, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What advice do you have for expats having a baby in South Africa?If you live in South Africa, newcomers to South Africa would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.