What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Ireland?
We asked expat moms who gave birth in Ireland about their experiences and advice they have for other moms to be. They said...
"When planning to have a baby in Ireland, it is important to research the maternity services and healthcare options available to you. Start by registering with a family doctor or GP so you can access the public healthcare services in Ireland. You may also be able to access private health insurance and make use of private maternity services. Make sure you are up to date with vaccinations, including the 10-in-1 vaccination and the seasonal flu vaccine, and ensure you have adequate amounts of folic acid. In addition, be aware of the maternity leave entitlements, parental leave entitlements and the financial support you may be entitled to through the Early Childhood Care and Education scheme," wrote a member who made the move to Ireland.
"Go private, not public!! And to go to D. Naveed. I loved the option of a scan on every visit!! We literally got to see our baby grow," explained one expat living in Ballinsloe, Ireland.
- What do I need to know before moving to Ireland?
- How do I find a place to live in Ireland?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Ireland?
- What is the average cost of housing in Ireland?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Ireland?
- What should I pack when moving to Ireland?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Ireland?
- Why do people move to Ireland?
- What are healthcare services like in Ireland?
- What are medical services in Ireland like?
- What are typical rents in Ireland?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What advice do you have for expats having a baby in Ireland?If you live in Ireland, newcomers to Ireland would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.