What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Yemen?
We asked people in Yemen if they could share any humorous cultural blunders they commited. For new expats, keep in mind that these incidents are an inevitable part of expat life. Learning to laugh about them is the key!...
"It is important to be aware of cultural norms when visiting Yemen. It is important to dress modestly, especially for women, and to avoid wearing revealing clothing. It is also important to be respectful of religious beliefs and practices, and to avoid discussing sensitive topics such as politics or religion. It is also important to be aware of local customs and to avoid touching people of the opposite sex, as this is considered inappropriate. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the local language and to avoid speaking English in public, as this may be seen as disrespectful," remarked another expat in Yemen.
- What should I pack when moving to Yemen?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Yemen?
- Will I be able to find a job in Yemen?
- What is life like in Yemen?
- What do expats in Yemen appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Yemen?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Yemen accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Yemen like?
- What are healthcare services like in Yemen?
- What are medical services in Yemen like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Yemen?
- What are emergency services like in Yemen?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Yemen?
- How are local medical facilities in Yemen?
- As a foreigner living in Yemen, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Yemen?If you live in Yemen, newcomers to Yemen would love to hear your answer to this question.