What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Latvia?
We asked people in Latvia if they could share any humorous cultural blunders they commited. For new expats, keep in mind that these incidents are an inevitable part of expat life. Learning to laugh about them is the key!...
"It is important to be aware of cultural differences when visiting Latvia. It is important to be respectful of local customs and traditions. It is considered rude to be late for appointments or social engagements. It is also important to dress modestly and avoid wearing revealing clothing. It is also important to avoid discussing sensitive topics such as politics or religion. It is also important to be aware of local etiquette when dining, such as not starting to eat until the host has given the signal to begin. Finally, it is important to be aware of local laws and regulations and to respect them," commented one expat who made the move to Latvia.
- What should I pack when moving to Latvia?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Latvia?
- Will I be able to find a job in Latvia?
- What is life like in Latvia?
- What do expats in Latvia appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Latvia?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Latvia accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Latvia like?
- What are healthcare services like in Latvia?
- What are medical services in Latvia like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Latvia?
- What are emergency services like in Latvia?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Latvia?
- How are local medical facilities in Latvia?
- As a foreigner living in Latvia, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Latvia?If you live in Latvia, newcomers to Latvia would love to hear your answer to this question.