What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Belgium. They wrote...
"Expats in Belgium often find the local culture to be quite different from what they are used to. The language barrier can be a challenge, as many Belgians speak both French and Dutch, and English is not as widely spoken as in other countries. Additionally, the Belgian culture is quite formal, and expats may find it difficult to adjust to the more formal way of interacting with people. Furthermore, the Belgian bureaucracy can be complex and time-consuming, making it difficult for expats to navigate the system. Finally, the cost of living in Belgium is quite high, and expats may find it difficult to adjust to the higher prices," wrote a member who made the move to Belgium.
The insurance that travels with you. Now Health International's insurance plans offer you access to world-class healthcare facilities and treatment wherever and whenever you need it. With digital services, 24x7 customer support in different languages, and award-winning service, Now Health International will look after you no matter where you choose to go. Get a Quote from Now Health International.
GET A QUOTE
- What do I need to know before moving to Belgium?
- How do I find a place to live in Belgium?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Belgium?
- What is the average cost of housing in Belgium?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Belgium?
- What should I pack when moving to Belgium?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Belgium?
- Why do people move to Belgium?
- What are healthcare services like in Belgium?
- What are medical services in Belgium like?
- What are typical rents in Belgium?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Belgium, newcomers to Belgium would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.