What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in India. They wrote...
"Expats often find acclimating to the local culture and customs the most challenging part of living abroad. They may also struggle with learning the language, navigating unfamiliar public transport systems, and adjusting to a different climate. Other difficulties may include dealing with bureaucracy, finding employment, and overcoming cultural barriers. Additionally, expats may also find it difficult to establish an active social life and maintain relationships with family and friends back home," commented one expat who made the move to India.
"Indians aim to please...my husband. My husband's British accent is easier to understand than my Texas accent so I have to be a bit in their face. India is a cash society and don't accept credit cards readily so we had a bit of cash flow issues at first. Being fashionable 30 minutes to hour late to an event is expected," remarked another expat in Mumbai, India.
- What do I need to know before moving to India?
- How do I find a place to live in India?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in India?
- What is the average cost of housing in India?
- Should I buy or rent a home in India?
- What should I pack when moving to India?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in India?
- Why do people move to India?
- What are healthcare services like in India?
- What are medical services in India like?
- What are typical rents in India?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in India, newcomers to India would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.