What do expats find most challenging?
We asked expats and digital nomads what they find the most challenging about the local culture in Ireland. They wrote...
"Expatriates in Ireland often find the country's strong emphasis on community, connectedness and communal activities to be very different from what they are used to in their own countries, making it a challenge to feel part of the local culture. Some expats find the wet climate and short days of winter to be very difficult to adjust to, while others struggle to understand the variety of regional accents and slang. Additionally, some may find that Irish culture is comparatively secular and that traditional Catholic mores are less prominent than in other parts of the world," wrote a member who made the move to Ireland.
"Bureaucracy. Banks, Insurance, documents, learning bus routes and how to deal with rental agents. I had several problems with "owners" and their agents. No room here to tell all the stories. Did not know about need for TV license until neighbors told us after we bought new TV. License does not cost for 65 + but one still needs to get it. Took 4 months," explained one expat living in Enniscorthy, Ireland.
- What should I pack when moving to Ireland?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Ireland?
- Will I be able to find a job in Ireland?
- What is life like in Ireland?
- What do expats in Ireland appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Ireland?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Ireland accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Ireland like?
- What are healthcare services like in Ireland?
- What are medical services in Ireland like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Ireland?
- What are emergency services like in Ireland?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Ireland?
- How are local medical facilities in Ireland?
- As a foreigner living in Ireland, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do expats find most challenging?If you live in Ireland, newcomers to Ireland would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.