What is life like as an expat in your area?
When we asked people living abroad what life is like in their areas and how people spend their time, they said...
"Expats and digital nomads in Brazil are generally welcomed with open arms and enjoy an active lifestyle. There are attractive cities such as Sao Paulo, Salvador, Recife and Fortaleza, which offer access to some of Brazil’s greatest attractions, such as its beaches and rainforest. Brazil is renowned for its nightlife and its vibrant culture, which makes it a great destination for travelers looking to experience the country’s many cultures and customs. Expats and digital nomads also benefit from fairly affordable living costs, a strong public transportation system and an improving economic climate," explained one expat living in Brazil.
"Peoples lives, no joke, revolve around the beach and sports. You will meet many people by just going to the beach or walking on the beach front and around the Lagoa (lagoon). Brazilians are very easy going; they talk to you all the time and everywhere. Some knowledge of the language is essential. Nobody, outside the tourist industry, speaks any English or any other language for that matter, but Portuguese," said another expat in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- What should I pack when moving to Brazil?
- Where should I setup a bank account in Brazil?
- Will I be able to find a job in Brazil?
- What is life like in Brazil?
- What do expats in Brazil appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in Brazil?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in Brazil accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in Brazil like?
- What are healthcare services like in Brazil?
- What are medical services in Brazil like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in Brazil?
- What are emergency services like in Brazil?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in Brazil?
- How are local medical facilities in Brazil?
- As a foreigner living in Brazil, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What is life like as an expat in your area?If you live in Brazil, newcomers to Brazil would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.