What do I need to know before retiring in UAE?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to UAE, they said...
"Before retiring in the UAE, expats should be aware of the cost of living, which is generally higher than in other countries. They should also be aware of the local laws and regulations, as well as the cultural norms and expectations. Additionally, expats should research the healthcare system and the availability of medical insurance. It is also important to understand the taxation system and the process for obtaining a residence visa. Finally, expats should familiarize themselves with the local language, as English is not widely spoken in the UAE," wrote a member who made the move to UAE.
"Negotiate a VERY comprehensive relocation package with your prospective employer, including school, housing, transportation and travel allowance, in addition to a generous salary, because the cost of living is not cheap here," explained one expat living in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- What should I pack when moving to the UAE?
- Where should I setup a bank account in the UAE?
- Will I be able to find a job in the UAE?
- What is life like in the UAE?
- What do expats in the UAE appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in the UAE?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in the UAE accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in the UAE like?
- What are healthcare services like in the UAE?
- What are medical services in the UAE like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in the UAE?
- What are emergency services like in the UAE?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in the UAE?
- How are local medical facilities in the UAE?
- As a foreigner living in the UAE, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What do I need to know before retiring in UAE?If you live in the UAE, newcomers to the UAE would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.