What do I need to know before retiring in India?
When we asked people what advice they would give someone preparing to move to India, they said...
"Before retiring in India, it is important to familiarise yourself with local laws and regulations. Consider researching topics such as taxation, visa requirements, and healthcare. Additionally, it is essential to consider the cost of living in India, as well as research neighbourhoods and living options that best suit your preferences and budget. It may be beneficial to plan your retirement income carefully and to familiarise yourself with banking services offered in India. Finally, you may want to consider learning some of India’s cultures, customs and languages to ensure a smoother transition into life in the country," said another expat in India.
"Surround yourself with positive people, get your support from them should you need it. India is at times challenging, exciting and in its own way crazy but if you are willing to be open to the differences then you will be rewarded with experiences way beyond what you would expect. I love India which is why we have returned here for a second time," wrote a member who made the move to Bangalore, India.
- What do I need to know before moving to India?
- How do I find a place to live in India?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in India?
- What is the average cost of housing in India?
- Should I buy or rent a home in India?
- What should I pack when moving to India?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in India?
- Why do people move to India?
- What are healthcare services like in India?
- What are medical services in India like?
- What are typical rents in India?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
What do I need to know before retiring in India?If you live in India, newcomers to India would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.