What should I pack when moving to South Africa?
We asked people living in South Africa to list three things they wish they had brought and three they wish they had left behind. They responded...
"When moving to South Africa, it is important to pack items that will help you adjust to the climate and culture. Pack clothing that is suitable for the warm climate, such as light, breathable fabrics. Bring items that will help you stay cool, such as a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Additionally, it is important to bring items that will help you adjust to the culture, such as books about South African history and culture, and items that will help you learn the language. Don't forget to bring any necessary documents, such as your passport and visa. Finally, it is important to bring items that will help you feel at home, such as photos of family and friends, and items that remind you of home," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to South Africa.
"My family, More photos, Native forest I could have left my winter clothes behind and made my suitcase lighter - doesnt really get cold here. I really only moved here with a backpack and a bag so I need everything I brought with me," commented one expat who made the move to Cape Town, South Africa.
Quickly and easily find trusted moving, insurance, relocation and other providers with Expat Exchange's Moving Planner. Select which of our trusted partners you would like to hear from and we'll do the rest.
Get Started Now
- What should I pack when moving to South Africa?
- Where should I setup a bank account in South Africa?
- Will I be able to find a job in South Africa?
- What is life like in South Africa?
- What do expats in South Africa appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in South Africa?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in South Africa accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in South Africa like?
- What are healthcare services like in South Africa?
- What are medical services in South Africa like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in South Africa?
- What are emergency services like in South Africa?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in South Africa?
- How are local medical facilities in South Africa?
- As a foreigner living in South Africa, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
What should I pack when moving to South Africa?If you live in South Africa, newcomers to South Africa would love to hear your answer to this question.