How do I find a place to live in Canada?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered...
"Searching for a place to live in Canada can be an intimidating task. Consider what type of space you are searching for (i.e. apartment, house, townhouse, etc.), in what area you would like to live in, and what sort of budget you have in mind. Once you have a general idea in mind, you can begin to research your options by searching online for rental listings, browsing the classifieds section of the local newspaper, and/or attending open houses for potential options. Additionally, you could also reach out to real estate agents or look for resources such as housing cooperatives in your chosen area," explained one expat living in Canada.
"By location and building amenities (The Richlin) a great building for adults, not a good neighborhood for kids, Everything you can imagine is within 3 1/2 miles from here," said another expat in Ottawa, Canada.
- What do I need to know before moving to Canada?
- How do I find a place to live in Canada?
- What is a typical expat home or apartment like in Canada?
- What is the average cost of housing in Canada?
- Should I buy or rent a home in Canada?
- What should I pack when moving to Canada?
- What cultural faux pas should I try to avoid making in Canada?
- Why do people move to Canada?
- What are healthcare services like in Canada?
- What are medical services in Canada like?
- What are typical rents in Canada?
- What appliances are typically included in a rental?
How do I find a place to live in Canada?If you live in Canada, newcomers to Canada would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.