How do I find a place to live in India?
We asked expats how they chose their neighborhood and found a place to live. They answered...
"One way to find a place to live in India is to use online resources such as real estate websites and rental listings. Additionally, you could consider utilizing local networks and contacting real estate agents directly. You can also look to newspapers and magazines in your area or utilize social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, to get an idea of what areas are popular and suitable for your needs. To narrow your search, consider what type of housing you are looking for (e.g., flat, house, apartment, villa, etc.) and the area that you want to live in. Additionally, have an idea of what you’re looking for in terms of price and amenities, such as access to markets, hospitals, and other services. Finally, don't forget to chat with locals who can often give valuable advice and can provide resources that would be harder to find online," mentioned another expat when asked about moving to India.
"We live in Powai; I chose the area by finding the middle spot on the map between my husband's office commute and my kids' school bus ride," commented one expat who made the move to Mumbai, India.
- What should I pack when moving to India?
- Where should I setup a bank account in India?
- Will I be able to find a job in India?
- What is life like in India?
- What do expats in India appreciate most about the local culture?
- What do expats find most challenging?
- Is there a lot of crime in India?
- Is there a lot of diversity? Are people in India accepting of differences?
- What are the schools in India like?
- What are healthcare services like in India?
- What are medical services in India like?
- Are healthcare and health insurance expensive in India?
- What are emergency services like in India?
- Will I need to travel to see a specialist?
- Are common prescription medications available in India?
- How are local medical facilities in India?
- As a foreigner living in India, will I have access to public healthcare? What is it like?
- What have your experiences during the pandemic with the local healthcare system been like?
How do I find a place to live in India?If you live in India, newcomers to India would love to hear your answer to this question.
About the Author
Betsy Burlingame is the Founder and President of Expat Exchange and is one of the Founders of Digital Nomad Exchange. She launched Expat Exchange in 1997 as her Master's thesis project at NYU. Prior to Expat Exchange, Betsy worked at AT&T in International and Mass Market Marketing. She graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University with a BA in International Business and German.
Some of Betsy's articles include 12 Best Places to Live in Portugal, 7 Best Places to Live in Panama and 12 Things to Know Before Moving to the Dominican Republic. Betsy loves to travel and spend time with her family. Connect with Betsy on LinkedIn.